27 March 2012
Last Updated on 01 April 2012
Cleansing (Shatkarmas) - Shatkarmas
Page 2 of 4
Dhauti, Basti, Neti, Trataka, Nauli and Kapalbhati; these are known as Shatkarma or the six cleansing processes.
Hatha Yoga is famous for these six cleansing techniques. Each has a variety of practices, although only six in number.
First karma is Dhauti is divided into three parts:
- Danda Dhauti (*):- Inserting a soft banana stem into the stomach.
- Vastra Dhauti (**):- Swallowing a long thin strip of cloth.
- Vaman Dhauti:- Regurgitating the contents of the stomach.
Second karma is Basti is divided into two parts:
- Jala (water) basti (**):- Sucking the water into the large intestine through the anus and expel it.
- Sthala (dry) basti (**):- Sucking air into the large intestine through the anus.
Third karma is Neti has four practices:
- Jala (water) Neti:- Passing warm saline water through the nose.
- Sutra (Thread) Neti:- Passing a soft thread through the nose.
- Ghrita (Ghee) Neti:- Passing clarified butter through the nose.
- Dugdha (Milk) Neti:- Passing milk through the nose.
The fourth karma is Trataka, which is steady and continuous gazing at a point of concentration. It has two practices:-
- Antara (Internal)
- Bahir (External)
The fifth karma is Nauli, in which you isolate and churn the abdominal muscles. It has three practices:-
- When the muscles are isolated to the right it is Dakshina Nauli
- When the muscles are isolated to the left it is Vama Nauli
- When the muscles are isolated to the middle it is Madhyama Nauli.
The last karma is Kapalbhati, which has three practices:-
- Vatkrama Kapalbhati:- This is similar to Bhastrika pranayama.
- Vyutkrama Kapalbhati:- Sucking water through the nose and expelling it through the mouth.
- Sheetkarma Kapalbhati:- Sucking water through the mouth and expelling it through the nose.
These six fundamental cleansing techniques are the most important aspects of the original Hatha Yoga.
After learning these techniques your intestinal cleaning will starts. For that you are requested to follow the diet instructions. During the intestinal cleaning we will provide diet to you.