28 March 2012
Last Updated on 29 March 2012
Animal Yoga - At School - GOY@C4S
Page 3 of 3
At School - GOY@C4S
GOY@Classroom In Your School
- Helping students and teachers, parents, and staff find peace for greater learning and fun.
- The most inclusive, rewarding, and effective physical exercise for all students.
- A practical solution to childhood obesity.
Gems Of Yoga Benefits 4 Ur School
- Gems of Yoga @ Classroom School classes give students of every size, shape, and physical ability a supportive, noncompetitive, and inclusive form of physical exercise that is fun and empowering.
- Yoga helps students improve their health and concentration, find alternatives to violence, and develop a lifelong interest in wellness.
- GOY@Classroom School classes and Teacher’s workshops are , typically 60 minutes to four hour long, include yoga poses, breathing practices, relaxation techniques, and meditation. While a schoolteacher and/or a parent is present, the Gems Of Yoga teacher provides group and individual attention. We also offer classes for teachers, staff, and parents.
The Principal can ask Parents: How to Sponsor Yoga At School
- This program has been so well received that we face the pleasant dilemma of experiencing more demand than we can supply by ourselves.
- You can make a real difference in the lives of school children by funding one, two, five, or hundreds of GOY @ Classroom in the School.
- Dhs 20,000 provides direct and support services for 32 classes and 4 classrooms in school.
- Dhs 40,000 would provide 64 yoga classes & 8 classrooms in School.
- Your dhs cover the cost of teacher salaries, equipment, teaching materials, curriculum planning, outreach, program evaluation, healthful habits, and all administrative costs.
- The students need a positive mind/body experience."
- The kids and I are really enjoying the yoga AND they are really getting that it is something that they can use anytime – how exciting is that?! I think their showing their learning to parents is indicative of the carry over. This is such a fabulous program!”–A.C., Grade 2 Teacher
- I wish we could take an Imagination Vacation every day! It makes me so relaxed and calm.”–K.W., Grade 2 Student
- “I used to get really angry, but now I know I can calm myself down if I just take a deep breath. Sometimes I need to do a few of those!”–J. F., Grade 1 Student
- "I just wanted to tell you what a difference this program has made in my children's lives since they had it last year! They still remember to take a deep breath when they are having challenges, they enjoy doing poses before bed, and they are still talking about the concepts like being compassionate and respectful, and even the importance of eating healthfully. They would come home with these amazing things to share and whenever I asked them how they learned it, it was from you. Gems Of Yoga 4 Classrooms should be part of every school curriculum - the benefits are immediate and also long lasting. This is a true gift you are giving to kids and school communities."
- D. Springfield., Parent of Grade 1 and Grade 4 Student
Become A GOY@Classroom School.
- Includes a one-day professional development in-service workshop and a 8-week classroom once a week to be held at your school, ensuring program sustainability.
- Educators, get inspired! Attend
- Any of our scheduled one-day Teacher Workshops to learn to share GOY@Classroom in your own school.
For School Teachers
- Are you interested in promoting whole child health and positive, peaceful learning environments though yoga and mindfulness education? Learn about our RYT 200 Hrs. options for yoga teachers, guidance counselors, and educators.
Why your school needs to be a GOY@Classroom School?
- Yoga helps everyone to focus, relax, and get ready for the day.
- Working through practicing poses and improving, or being able to do something they couldn’t previously, gives children confidence, increases self-esteem and is a reminder that anything we do (reading, writing and math included) improves with practice and discipline.
- It supports respecting individual differences as students discover that what is “easy” for someone may be challenging for someone else (someone might be flexible, but struggle with balance poses, etc.). Again, this transfers so well into understanding and respecting that we are all unique and in promoting acceptance of all!
- It definitely gives children a tool for when they are nervous, anxious, or having difficulty with self-control.
- The time we spend on our practice is not “lost” academic time (a concern of some teachers). It actually increases student productivity on academic tasks. The children are more focused, alert, better listeners, more able to follow directions and are more relaxed during challenging tasks.
Practicing yoga as a class promotes a positive and safe classroom environment, which enables children to feel comfortable to take risks in their learning, to try challenging tasks and to ask questions when they are having difficulty.
- Practicing yoga in the classroom helps me feel more relaxed. I am more patient with the children. I am able to remain calm during stressful and anxious situations that may occur during the day.
I could go on and on. Can’t wait for the cards to come out! Thanks again!” –K.B., Grade 2 Teac
Research Based Evidence
- Studies show that exercise facilitates children's executive function (i.e., processes required to select, organize, and properly initiate goal-directed actions) by increasing activation in the prefrontal cortex and serotonergic system.
- Because of the integration of physical movement with breathing exercises and mental focus practice, yoga may prove to be an ideal form of exercise to enhance those aspects of children's mental functioning central to cognitive development.
Benefits of Yoga for Children
- Assists neuromuscular-development
- Promotes development of the vestibular system
- Encourages midline crossing motions; motor development on both sides of the body
- Develops a strong and flexible body
- Increases balance, body awareness and coordination
- Improves posture and alignment
- Develops core strength, essential for good posture and correct physical alignment
- Reduces injuries and improves performance
- Improves digestion, circulation and elimination
- Strengthens the immune system
- Relaxes the body, promoting better sleep.
- Calms and clears the mind, bringing us into the present moment
- Relieves tension and stress
- Increases concentration, focus and attention span
- Promotes thinking and memory
- Stimulates auditory processing and responsiveness
- Expands imagination and creativity
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves ability to be less reactive; more mindful of thoughts, words and actions
- Balances energy (high or low)
- Builds confidence and self-esteem
- Supports character development and emotional intelligence
- Enhances team skills and social interaction
- Develops discipline and self-control
- Supports individuality and self-expression
- Encourages social and environmental awareness and responsibility
- Supports a sense of universal connectedness
- Inspires respect for self and others
- Improves mind/body connection
- Encourages a fit and healthy lifestyle
- Promotes an overall sense of well-being.
- Yoga helps children see the beauty and light within themselves, thereby boosting
- It helps them get in touch with who they are inside. A child who learns yoga, mindfulness and relaxation will be developing essential skills for a lifetime of health and wellness in mind, body and spirit.
Benefits of Yoga in the School Setting
- Anti-bullying, health and wellness, and character education are common themes in American schools today, all focusing on educating the whole child, mind, body and spirit. Yoga, by nature, supports this learning.
The following are some of the benefits of yoga to support the education of the whole child, thus maximizing the learning process:
- Provides students healthy ways to express and balance their emotions
- Promotes a more relaxed, comfortable state of being - the perfect state for teaching and learning
- Brings students into the present moment – the most basic requirement for learning
- Encourages community and connectedness within the classroom
- Helps to create an atmosphere of confidence, enthusiasm and non-competitiveness where everyone can succeed
- Provides opportunities for beneficial motor breaks throughout the day
- Eases anxiety and tension (such as pre-test or performance jitters
- Enhances focus, concentration, comprehension and memory. Provides opportunities for reflection, patience and insight, reducing impulsivity and reactivity
- Supports social and emotional learning
- Improves listening skills.
- Wakes up sluggish minds and creativity as needed.
- Enhances organizational and communication skills
- Improves posture, assisting students to sit comfortably for long periods enhances motor skills
- 4 Hrs workshop conducted for teachers at Your School: Dhs 3900/-
- 8 weeks once/week yoga for nominated classroom: Dhs 5000/-
Total over 8 weeks: Dhs 8900/-
Resources For GOY@Classroom provided to the teacher
The workshop includes teaching resources lik:
- Deck Of Yoga Cards
- lesson plan,
- asana chart,
- yoga story,
- evaluation methodology (Based on the developmental milestones of children).
- Become A GOY@Classroom School